The Land Rover LR4 has the off-road chops to match the JGC, but no diesel engine in the U.S. -- not yet, anyway. If you're willing to sacrifice the diesel engine as a competitive requirement, the landscape opens up dramatically including the Chevrolet Tahoe and the expensive Toyota (TM) Land Cruiser.
The JGC Limited 4x4 starts at around $38,000, but with the $4,500 diesel option as well as some other options you really want it ends up around $48,000. This is a good value given its unique attributes and surprisingly strong execution in terms of lacking annoying faults.
On the other hand, from a competitive perspective, the JGC diesel doesn't have a direct competitor in the U.S. market right now. A truly off-road capable luxury five-seat large SUV that can tow 7,200 lbs and has a diesel engine? JGC diesel is a class of its own.
While this car is totally inappropriate overkill for the regular suburban commuter in most warm/mild U.S. climates, it is the ideal vehicle for the rural farmer living in under many feet of snow, and with a need to go hunting in the forest and tow a heavy boat. With the caveat that I tend to prefer electric cars such as Chevrolet Volt, BMW i3 and Tesla Model S, I give the Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel a strong recommendation for the right kind of buyer with these kinds of extreme needs.At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @antonwahlman This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV