NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Ulta Beauty
(ULTA) shares plunged more than 16% in after-hours trading as the cosmetics and beauty supply chain sharply tempered fourth-quarter earnings expectations due to softer-than-expected sales.
Herb Greenberg foreshadowed Thursday's after-hours action from the company in a post he made to TheStreet's Real Money premium service Wednesday morning.
The Bolingbrook, Ill.-based company said Thursday that it expects fourth-quarter earnings are forecast to come in between $1.07 to $1.10 a share, compared to consensus estimates of $1.24 a share.
"Earnings per share guidance for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2013 is lower than previous expectations, primarily as a result of softer retail sales trends at the end of the third quarter which are expected to continue, as well as the company's plans to maintain strong market share gains during a highly competitive and promotional holiday selling season," Ulta said in its third-quarter earnings release.
Net sales for the quarter are expected between $853 million and $867 million. Sales in last year's fourth quarter totaled $758.8 million, including $40 million of sales in the 53rd week of the year, the company said. Analysts, on average, had expected sales of $895 million for the January-ending quarter.
Fourth-quarter comparable store sales, which include online sales, are expected to increase 7% to 9%, the company said.
Shares were falling 16.5% to $98.50 in post-markets trading.
The disappointing forecast comas as Ulta reported third-quarter net income of $45.4 million, or 70 cents a share, compared to $38.1 million, or 59 cents a share in the year-earlier period. Earnings missed analysts' estimates of 74 cents a share. The Nov.-2-ending quarter includes 2 cents per share related to severance charges, the company said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV