For many of the country’s college football fans, hashtags and handles aren’t just for socializing, they’re for showing some love to their favorite teams.
One-third of college football fans use social media while watching their favorite team’s game, according to the Discover Fan Loyalty Poll. Of those, 50 percent use it to cheer on their team, and 7 percent to comment on the opposing team. A small number, just 2 percent, criticize their own team on social media. Thirty-one percent do all three when they log on.
Millennials are most likely to take to social media while watching their team play, as 56 percent log on during the game, but other age groups don’t lag far behind:
- 40-49, 40 percent
- 30-39, 38 percent
- 50-64, 26 percent
- 65 or older, 17 percent
While Online, Women Cheer and Men JeerMen and women’s intentions on social media vary as they watch their favorite team play:
- More women, 66 percent, use social media to cheer on their team, compared to 36 percent of men;
- Fewer women, 18 percent, log into social media in order to criticize their team, cheer on their team, or comment on the opposing team, compared to 43 percent of men who do all three;
- Fewer women, 32 percent, use social media to taunt their friends, while 38 percent of men dish it out online.
- Alabama, 43 percent
- Florida State, 14 percent
- Ohio State, 14 percent
- Missouri, 3 percent
- Oklahoma State, 3 percent
- Stanford, 3 percent
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV