NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- As economic data continue to strengthen, many market participants are asking, How can the Federal Reserve not taper?
TheStreet's Jill Malandrino asked this of Dan Collins, founder of the Dan Collins Report, who made the case for a December taper.
Collins reminded investors that Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke never said September would be a time for tapering, only saying it could be before the end of the year. The Fed only has one meeting left in 2013, making it possible that a tapering announcement could occur.
Collins added that yesterday's ADP report was quite strong, as well as Thursday's third-quarter GDP results, which came in much higher than many had expected at 3.6%.
He added last month's nonfarm payrolls report was sort of a freebie for the stock market, because investors knew the Fed couldn't taper around the government shutdown. While December is usually a positive month with little volatility, it could be different this year.Collins admitted that the equity market should be ready for a tapering announcement this time, unlike earlier this year. If the amount is small then it might even be a nonevent, he said. Collins concluded that if Friday's nonfarm payrolls results are better than expected, the Fed might have a hard time justifying not tapering at this point. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV