Deal Economy: Wall Street Looks Forward to Banner Year for M&A
NEW YORK (The Deal) -- Wall Street dealmakers say that conditions are ripe for a take-off in M&A for 2014.
Mark Brady, William Blair's global head of M&A, said at The Deal Economy 2014 in New York Thursday, while total dollar transaction in 2013 was up, that was mostly because of the mega-deals, as the number of deals was down. However, looking at his firm's pipeline, there are 119 sell-side deals on tap, compared to 81 last year for the below-$1 billion transaction values. "People are starting to think about taking advantage of market conditions," he said.
Richard Jeanneret, vice chair of transaction advisory services at Ernst & Young added that there were great fundamentals, including a lot of cash and credit, but there was still a missing confidence element.
However, Stefan Selig, executive vice chairman, global corporate and investment banking, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, said it was more a question of value. "Is it real, or is it Fed policy," he said. Selig noted that the market now is not unlike before the mega deals of 2004. "If you take out the TXUs of 2007, we're on a par," he said.Financing for the mega-deals is also something that was a proven fact in 2013. "We were surprised at the institutional appetite for the Verizon Wireless $130 billion deal," he said -- BofA was involved in that financing. "The concern that you couldn't finance is now off the table," at least in strategic transactions, Selig said. To the issue of increased shareholder activism, Tagar Olson, KKR's head of financial services noted that the activists at times provided opportunity for private equity to do deals. "We can go in and act as a partner to the board to deal with some of the issues," he said. Written by Paula Schaap.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV