To offer investors exposure to the full spectrum of emerging markets debt with the potential for higher yields, diversification and an attractive risk-return profile, Northern Trust has launched the Northern Multi-Manager Emerging Markets Debt Opportunity Fund (NMEDX).
“The emerging markets debt asset class has evolved over the past few decades, driven by improving fundamentals, structural changes and increased investor interest,” said Chris Vella, Chief Investment Officer for Multi-Manager Solutions at Northern Trust. “Our fund intends to capture diverse sources of return from emerging markets debt, including local and external currencies, and sovereign, quasi-sovereign and corporate issuers. This style provides investment managers with the broadest opportunity set to invest in and allows for expanded alpha 1 potential in their sector and security allocation decisions.”
Launched on December 3, 2013, the Northern Multi-Manager Emerging Markets Debt Opportunity Fund invests at least 80 percent of net assets in fixed income securities that provide exposure to a blend of local and hard currency emerging or frontier market issuers. The Fund can also opportunistically invest in emerging market corporate bonds.
The Fund's total net operating expense ratio is .93 percent 2 and the minimum investment is $100,000. The Fund takes a multi-manager approach, with assets allocated to multiple outside sub-advisers using distinctive investment styles. Northern Trust will conduct manager research, selection, optimization and oversight. Current investment sub-advisers to the fund are:
- BlueBay Asset Management LLP – Fundamental, bottom-up country analysis and selection focus. Relative value analysis then determines trade-offs between potential investments and risk management.
- Lazard Asset Management LLC – Top down approach that begins with an assessment of the global macro environment followed, by bottom-up analysis of individual countries.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts