NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Apple's (AAPL) iPad Air has been a big hit since it was introduced in October and went on sale in November. On Black Friday and Cyber Monday, the iPad Air topped everything else.
Analytics firm Localytics noted that the iPad Air was a huge hit over the Thanksgiving weekend, with 51% more iPad Air tablet activations this week than the previous week. The analytics firm cited several different reasons for this, including Apple's gift card promotion, as well as a smaller install base of the iPad Air and the newness of the device.
Localytics reported two other Apple devices were in the top three spots, with the older version of the iPad mini taking second place, and the iPhone 5c taking third place. "As previously reported by Localytics, the iPhone 5c is gaining on its more sophisticated cousin, the 5s, during the past couple months," the firm said in a press release.
The Localytics report was done on devices seen from Nov. 29 to Dec. 2, 2013, compared to Nov. 22 to Nov. 25 in 2012, with a sample size of over 1 million devices.
Apple dropped the starting price of the iPad mini to $299 when it unveiled the device with Retina Display in October. The iPhone 5c is cheaper than the iPhone 5s -- the iPhone 5c starts at $99 for the 16GB model -- whereas the iPhone 5s starts at $199 for the 16GB model.
While the iPad Air took the crown on the Black Friday to Cyber Monday time frame, there were a few Android based devices that saw strength. Amazon's (AMZN) Kindle Fire HD 7-inch tablet, and Samsung's Galaxy S IV also saw an increase in device activations from the previous week. On Cyber Monday, Amazon cut the price of the Kindle Fire HD 7-inch and the 7-inch Kindle Fire HDX by $50 on Cyber Monday, likely causing the spike in sales.
Shares of Apple were higher in premarket trading, gaining 1.3% to $572.44, while Amazon tacked on 0.27% to $387. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York
>Contact by Email.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV