Reconciling With a Sibling: Ask Noah
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Q: My brother and I haven't spoken in seven years. Family gatherings don't happen, and both our sisters are devastated. I can barely remember the argument that started the battle. Regardless, I cannot seem to approach him. I'd love some of "your tips" on how to raise my white flag.
A: After seven long years it's time to bury the hatchet and reconnect. Otherwise you run the risk of permanently severing the relationship.
I commend you for wanting to move forward with your life and be the "bigger" man. Someone has to reach out first, and it may as well be you.
Here are the tips:
1. Determine what is holding you back. Fear? Pride? Identify your feelings, and then decide to not allow them to hold you back. If you don't choose to let go of these feelings, you'll never approach your brother.
2. Involve your sisters in this plan. They have had an ongoing relationship with your brother, so they'll know where he stands on the situation as well. Find out whether he's expressed a desire to contact you. Perhaps your sisters could even act as mediators and helping to facilitate contact.
3. Give yourself a deadline within the next two months. By the date you select, you should make verbal contact with your brother. Consider this a commitment to yourself. Don't back down.
Leave the past in the past. It's time to begin anew.
Please send questions and comments to Ask Noah at firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a profitable and peaceful week,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV