BEIJING, December 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
U.K.-Sino alliance to develop China's publishing industry in support of science and technology advancement
Elsevier, a world-leading provider of scientific, technical and medical (STM) information products and services, and part of the Reed Elsevier group, announced today that it is strengthening and refocusing the scope of its long-standing relationship with China Science Publishing & Media Ltd. (CSPM) to create an international publishing platform for English-language STM journals that brings the expanding wealth of research originating from China to the world.
The announcement comes at a time when China is emerging as a major contributor to the international scientific community, being the second most prolific publisher of research articles after the United States (U.S.) and ahead of the United Kingdom (U.K.) [ 1]."The joint venture puts Elsevier at the center of services to the burgeoning Chinese research and development (R&D) sector," said Ron Mobed, Elsevier's Chief Executive Officer, who accompanied British Prime Minister, David Cameron, as a member of a trade delegation on his recent trip to China. " China is committing major resources in R&D and is in line to surpass the UK and U.S. to become the world's largest investor in R&D. This joint venture forges a partnership that enables the creation of a publishing platform that will make the results of that investment more accessible for global researchers." "I am delighted that Elsevier has joined me in the largest British business delegation to go to China this century," said British Prime Minister, David Cameron. "This Government's priority is to secure the economic recovery and we are determined to do all we can to help British companies to succeed in the global race. I am firmly committed to playing my part which is why I have taken more than 130 business delegates to China, including Elsevier. My aim is to open the door for them in this fast-growing market, creating opportunities for them to expand their business." Elsevier's partnership with CSPM, China's largest STM publisher, began in 2007 as a joint-venture for books services through the joint entity, KeAi Communications (KeAi). To provide the necessary publishing support for the rapid growth of China's academic research output in alignment with the Chinese government's push for greater science and technology development, Elsevier is refocusing its strategic relationship with CSPM by expanding the scope of KeAi's offering to include publishing services for English-language STM journals and scientific evaluation of China-based journals. The renewed focus includes putting in place strategic resources for the creation of a high-quality international publishing platform to:
- Provide publishing services for English-language STM journals in China.
- Offer scientific evaluation to journals in China.
- Improve the international standing and quality of research originating from China.
- Promote research work from local scholastic community more broadly.
- Boost China's academic influence and share of voice through Elsevier's editorial board membership that provides access to influential global scientific networks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV