No End in Sight for Dropped 401(k)s and Decline in Matching
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The past two years have been good to stock market investors. The Standard & Poor's 500 Stock Index garnered 13.4% last year, and it's up 25.9% through Tuesday.
But employees may be increasingly losing a grip on those stellar returns, with more companies either eliminating 401(k) plans altogether or reducing their match levels. The 2012 Retirement Plan Survey from American Investment Planners, a Jericho, N.Y., investment advisory firm says 23,000 401(k) plans were eliminated last year -- about 4.5% of all U.S.-based 401(k) plans.
"Of those that terminated, 22% were health care providers," says Brett Goldstein, director of retirement planning at AIP. "Many doctors have terminated their plans because they have merged their practices with larger health care providers."
Even if workers lost nothing by rolling over a plan in a merger, the numerical loss follows a loss of another 19,000 the year before, the report says.According to the survey, match levels also slid by 4.7% last year, following a 2% decline the year before and 5% drop in 2010. The decline in matching investments may not be the employer's fault -- at least not entirely, Goldstein says. "Many employees don't contribute enough to their 401(k) to get the full employer match," Goldstein says. "Employees also prefer cash bonuses as opposed to matching contributions that they can't touch until they turn 59.5. As a result, many employers are cutting back on their 401(k) matching or eliminating it completely to save money." Gallup survey reveals that 83% of Americans say 401(k)-type plans are either "very important" or "extremely important" in securing a good financial future.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV