Chris Lau, Kapitall: Google is shaking up the budget smartphone market with the Moto G. How will competitors react?
Google’s (GOOG) Motorola unit dramatically shifted the landscape for budget smartphones when it released the Moto G. Priced between $179 and $199, the Moto G will likely be a cause of worry for Apple (AAPL) and Microsoft (MSFT).
Click on the interactive charts to view stock prices over time.
Apple’s iPhone 5C, which is an entry level premium device for consumers, is priced sharply higher than the Moto G. Lumia 520 (priced between $69 – $109) still competes effectively on price, but other Lumia variants offer far less than the Moto G. The threat of the Moto G for budget smartphone makers looks very real. Specifications
- The Moto G is either $179 (8GB) or $199 (16GB).
- The smartphone has a screen size of 4.5 inches,
- It features 1GB RAM
- Runs on Qualcomm’s (QCOM) 1.2GHz Snapdragon 400.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV