NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I wasn't surprised to receive a response from the Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) to my What Happened to Professional Bowling's Glory Days? riff. However, the way the PBA reacted, via its Twitter (TWTR) account, provided a pause.
First, the PBA's Twitter reiterated something I included in my article:
Of course, a few of us questioned the wisdom of running your events opposite National Football League (NFL) telecasts. Seems like a logical retort.The response from whoever runs the PBA's Twitter account, however, could serve as a lesson in what not to do in response to something not only constructive, but painfully obvious. Particularly when you're already fighting a seemingly impossible battle to lift yourself from the claws of relative obscurity.
@Rocco_TheStreet @CraigScott31 Have been on that day/time for over a decade. Where ya been? #LoveTheLanes Visit http://t.co/3xbClSgG2A PBA Tour (@PBATour) December 4, 2013
@CraigScott31 @Rocco_TheStreet Appointment television, and most of the schedule is post-NFL http://t.co/C93Ga8gEoW #LoveTheLanes PBA Tour (@PBATour) December 4, 2013
@CraigScott31 @Rocco_TheStreet Formats change, ask @MLB @nfl @NHL @NBA Popularity drives prizes. We are still here. #LoveTheLanes PBA Tour (@PBATour) December 4, 2013The PBA could actually learn a thing or two itself from America's fourth sport, the National Hockey League (NHL). The NHL does an excellent job marketing itself, as it operates from a position of weakness, relative to the NFL, NBA and MLB. And the last thing the NHL would do, if it even responded at all, is respond with what at least appears to be defensiveness.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV