NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I was talking to Jim Cramer today about the last few weeks of the trading year and how different the markets can act. Part of the reason for this is a general gardening that goes on in the portfolios of funds as well as individual investors.
For funds looking to show strong year end performance, a well-placed bid marking up a widely held and moderately performing stock can really boost numbers. When funds begin to mark up selected stocks during the last few weeks of December, most other fundamentals of the company can be temporarily ignored.
You're also likely to find a higher relative value for these stocks during these weeks if you were looking for a good opportunity to sell and book profits.
Some of the likely candidates for last minute markups include the widely held integrated stocks like Exxon Mobil (XOM) and Chevron (CVX). Other widely held stocks that have performed well enough to be candidates for last-minute markups might be the unloved natural gas stocks that have bucked the trend and performed strongly in 2013.
A few stocks that come to mind that might be receiving some last-minute bids are Chesapeake Energy (CHK) and Southwestern Energy (SWN).
I talk more about some trade ideas in the energy sector going into the new year with Jim in the video above.At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @dan_dicker This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV