Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Netflix (NFLX) as a momo momentum candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Netflix as such a stock due to the following factors:
- NFLX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $764.6 million.
- NFLX has a PE ratio of 305.8.
- NFLX is currently in the upper 30% of its 1-year range.
- NFLX is in the upper 25% of its 20-day range.
- NFLX is in the upper 35% of its 5-day range.
- NFLX is currently trading above yesterday's high.
- NFLX has experienced a gap between today's open and yesterday's close of 0.7%.
'Momo Momentum' stocks are valuable stocks to watch for a variety of reasons including historical back testing and price action. Market technicians refer to such stocks as being in a mark-up phase before a possible distribution period and price decline. Technical analysts and traders frequently find that the factors referenced above tend to create a temporary burst of strong wind in a stock's sail. Nevertheless, all successful traders must excel at maximizing gains while keeping losses to an absolute minimum. For that reason, the holding period on momo momentum stocks must always be a primary consideration, and this part of the puzzle is ultimately at the discretion of each individual's risk tolerance and portfolio risk management skills.EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in NFLX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for NFLX NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on NFLX: Netflix, Inc. provides Internet television network service that enables subscribers to stream TV shows and movies directly on TVs, computers, and mobile devices in the United States and internationally. NFLX has a PE ratio of 305.8. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate Netflix a buy, 4 analysts rate it a sell, and 16 rate it a hold.The average volume for Netflix has been 3.6 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Netflix has a market cap of $21.6 billion and is part of the services sector and specialty retail industry. The stock has a beta of 1.79 and a short float of 13.8% with 2.76 days to cover. Shares are up 293% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Netflix as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity and generally higher debt management risk.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 7.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 22.2%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 300.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 336.31% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- NETFLIX INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NETFLIX INC reported lower earnings of $0.29 versus $4.17 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.72 versus $0.29).
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.42, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further. Despite the fact that NFLX's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 0.59 is low and demonstrates weak liquidity.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Internet & Catalog Retail industry and the overall market, NETFLIX INC's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Netflix Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Latest Headlines about NFLX
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV