NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The European Commission on Wednesday announced a series of fines totaling 1.71 billion euros ($2.32 billion) against eight large banks, "for participating in illegal cartels in markets for financial derivatives covering the European Economic Area.
The EU said four of the large international banks colluded to manipulate the London Interbank Offered Rate (LIBOR) or the Euro Interbank Offered Rate (EURIBOR). These banks include Barclays (BCS), Deutsche Bank (DB), Societe General and Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS).
Barclays was not fined, as it was granted immunity for "revealing the existence of the cartel" to the European Commission. Barclays was the first large bank to settle to settle LIBOR investigations, agreeing in June 2012 to pay U.S. and European regulators $454 million. The other three banks had their fines reduced in return for cooperation and agreements to settle with the EU.
Here are the fines handed down to the "cartel in Euro interest rate derivatives (EIRD)," to use the European Commission's label for the group:
- Barclays: Zero
- Deutsche Bank: 465,861,000 euros ($633 million)
- Society General: 445,884,000 euros ($606 million)
- Royal Bank of Scotland 131,004,000 euro ($178 million)
- UBS: Zero
- RBS: 260,056,000 euros ($353 million)
- Deutsche Bank: 259,499,000 euros ($353 million)
- JPMorgan Chase: 79,897,000 euros ($109 million)
- Citigroup: 70,020,000 euros ($95 million)
- RP Martin: 247,000 euros ($336,000)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV