NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Copper priced in yen is showing strength as the global economic recovery picks up steam.
Copper is a barometer of economic health because of its industrial use. When the global economy is strong and investment is increasing, more industrial production is needed, which increases the demand for copper.
Over the past few years, however, stimulus has clouded copper's ability to convey true economic strength. Investors see every positive release of economic data as a reason to tighten monetary policy. That causes U.S. dollar strength and commodities priced in dollar terms to experience selling pressure. But when copper is adjusted to be priced in yen, the new pair measures economic health versus a safe-haven currency.
The Japanese currency is bid higher during times of market fear. When market volatility increases, investors sell other currencies in favor of the yen.Therefore, when copper is taken out of dollar terms, it allows for more clarity in analyzing the metal. The chart below shows the relationship of iPath DJ-UBS Copper TR Sub-Idx ETN (JJC) over CurrencyShares Japanese Yen Trust (FXY). The pair has traded range-bound over the past few months, but has recently started to trend higher.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV