Bottom Line: I don't view iHeart Radio as a Internet radio; rather I see it -- and use it -- as a platform for seemingly limitless traditional radio.
What's It Good For: I grew up on and in terrestrial radio. I became obsessed with the business in elementary school and started working in it, officially, when I was 13.
As a youngster, I spent many nights tweaking dials and twisting antennas trying to secure reception on far-flung radio stations. Growing up in Niagara Falls, NY, my nightly routine consisted of listening, through the static, to WFAN in New York City and WLUP out of Chicago. On extra-triumphant evenings, I could get KOA in Denver, some 2,000 miles or so away, in. I literally dreamt of a time I could listen to any station, anywhere, any time -- for free -- on not only the AM band, but the now far-more-exciting FM smorgasbord.That's what iHeart Radio accomplished for me and, as far as I'm concerned, the world. I'm in Los Angeles, but whenever I have an urge to hear Z-100 in New York (easily the best Top 40 station in the land), it's no more than a few clicks away. When one of my favorite disc jockeys passed away unexpectedly, I was able to listen to KISS-FM in Dallas to hear the station memorialize Kidd Kraddick. Why You Might Think It Sucks: Beyond bringing radio from pretty much anywhere within reach, iHeart Radio is little more than a rudimentary personalized radio platform. Platform Observations: None. Additional Thoughts: Clear Channel likes to boast about iHeart Radio's growth, but really, how impressive is it when you have hundreds of broadcast radio stations promoting it pretty much 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV