Bottom Line: This won't take long.
I love Spotify with respect to the fight it's fighting against a horrifically clueless music industry. The fact that Spotify -- or any other Internet radio player for that matter -- must prove its worth to the music industrial complex is patently absurd. Everybody from the major labels to unsigned acts should be beating down Spotify and Pandora's doors to work with them.
As a platform, however, I just can't get into Spotify. Tons of people love it, which brings us back to one of my initial observations that comparing Internet radio operations is an almost entirely subjective proposition. Who am I to say, categorically, that Spotify sucks given its wide-ranging and growing popularity?What's It Good For: If you are a Spotify fan, probably everything I contend Rdio is good for. Why You Might Think It Sucks: I shouldn't say probably. It's definitely every bit as good as Rdio is in my eyes in the eyes of ardent -- and even casual -- Spotify subscribers. But, from my perspective, it takes too long to get comfortable with Spotify's interface. Once you get past the bells and whistles Spotify throws at you, such as way too many integrated "apps," you find go-to sections of the site such as Top Charts and personal playlists. Again, very subjective and somewhat arbitrary, but Spotify just didn't speak to me out of the gate like Rdio did. Platform Observations: I actually prefer Spotify on Roku over desktop or mobile. By stripping away some features, you get better and easier-to-navigate functionality. Additional Thoughts: None.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV