NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Today's buy-and-trade earnings previews focus on nine retail-oriented companies that report quarterly results on Thursday including discounters Dollar General (DG) and Big Lots (BIG), and men's clothier Joseph A Bank (JOSB) who is in a bidding war with Men's Wearhouse (MW).
The nine stocks include seven from the retail-wholesale sector, and one each from the consumer discretionary and consumer staples sectors.
The consumer discretionary sector is 35.5% overvalued with an equal-weight rating. Of the 393 stocks 82.7% in this sector have hold ratings.
The consumer staples sector is 26.1% overvalued with an overweight rating. Of the 256 stocks 52.7% in this sector have buy or strong buy ratings.The retail-wholesale sector is 31.9% overvalued with an overweight rating. Of the 343 stocks 82.5% in this sector have buy or strong buy ratings.
[Read: 2013 Tech Predictions: Chris Ciaccia Looks Back] All seven retail-wholesale stocks in today's table have buy ratings and the other two consumer stocks have hold ratings. One stock is slightly undervalued and four are overvalued by 20.8% to 29.8%. All have double-digit gains over the last 12 months between 15.8% and 59.8%. One is below its 200-day SMA while eight are above their 200-day SMAs which reflect the risk of reversion to the mean.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV