BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Too often, there's a battle between income investors and investors chasing capital gains. Would you rather take a reliable income check on your portfolio, or would you prefer share price appreciation? That question may drive some great debates in an MBA class, but it's a whole lot less relevant to the real world.
I'm happy to report that it's not an either/or. You can have both.
In fact, dividend payouts and capital gains are more complementary than anything else. The data bears that out too. Over the last three and a half decades, dividend stocks have outperformed the rest of the S&P 500 by 2.5% annually, and they outperformed nonpayers by nearly 8% every year, all while paying out cash to their shareholders, based on data compiled by Ned Davis Research.But instead of looking for industries with high yields, it makes sense to approach the problem the other way around: by seeking out industries with high stock performance and then backing into individual high-yield names. By focusing on sectors with high relative strength first, you skirt the typical catastrophes that come from chasing yield. >>5 Rocket Stocks to Buy This December So that's why we're looking at health care stocks. Health care is on a tear in 2013. While the S&P 500 has churned out some impressive gains year-to-date, big health indices are up more than 38% over the same time period. That's more than 10% outperformance. And short-term, health care stocks have been widening the gap even further. So as the year draws to a close, here's a look at five health care stocks offering up a mix of income and capital gains right now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV