SolarWorld Solar Panels Power Solar Forward's Inaugural Installation At Portland's Southwest Community Center. Photo Courtesy Of The City Of Portland. (Photo: Business Wire)
SolarWorld joined Portland Mayor Charlie Hales today to launch Solar Forward, a crowd-sourced campaign to pay for solar installations at some of Portland’s most beloved public spaces. The largest U.S. solar manufacturer since 1975, SolarWorld is one of five founding donors that together have pledged more than $20,000 to seed the clean-energy fund.
The first revolving solar fund in the city’s history, Solar Forward will finance construction of solar arrays on Portland’s community centers, schools and libraries. The city invites individuals and organizations to join the founding donors – among them, SolarWorld, Portland Development Commission, Portfolio 21 Investments, Umpqua Bank and Wells Fargo – in giving tax-free donations to support the city’s solar future.
Portland’s innovation is not alone among new models for ownership of solar energy. Community solar is an evolving movement in U.S. cities, including Portland; Seattle; Denver; Sacramento, Calif.; Austin, Texas; and Chicago. While other states’ programs offer financial benefits to community solar subscribers, such as a credit on their electric bills or monetary returns on investment, Oregon’s rules and regulations do not allow these types of financial benefits. Solar Forward is a voluntary, donation-based campaign.
“In Portland we have a chance for the first time to join as an entire community and put solar on some of our most beloved public spaces,” Mayor Hales said. “Joining us in this community solar campaign is both a simple gesture and a powerful expression of our shared future. It’s a way for all of us to show that there are still places in the world that value community above self.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV