How to Handle Holiday Parties at a Small Business
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Whether your company had a good year or a bad one, the holiday season is here, and your employees are probably looking forward to a little mistletoe and end-of-year joy. Unfortunately, if your budget is tight, a big holiday celebration is out of the question -- but that doesn't mean you have to act like Mr. Scrooge. Take a look at some expert suggestions for celebrating the holidays in style without breaking the bank.
1. Use the space you're given -- think atriums, foyers, etc.
If your office has a foyer or an atrium, it might just be the perfect spot for your celebration, says Morag Barrett, CEO of SkyeTeam, an international HR and leadership development firm.
"I once went to a party in a large office building with a stunning foyer and atrium. The staff came down from their offices and met there, bringing festive decorations, helium balloons and music," Barrett says. "The company provided appetizers and refreshments."In an atrium, a festive atmosphere is created very quickly and without the need to go offsite to a restaurant or hotel conference room, Barrett explains. One of the best ways to make the office "feel special" is to bring in festive tables and decor for the party, says Jennifer Friedman, chief marketing officer of small business solutions at CT Corp. and its subsidiary BizFilings. "Make the office feel special by bringing in high-top tables and linens, encouraging everyone to mingle while eating instead of retreating back to their cubes," Friedman says. 2. It doesn't have to be at night -- lunch or brunch will work just fine. "Lunch is certainly an option instead of a lengthy -- and likely more expensive -- dinner," Barrett says. A holiday brunch allows for everyone to come in after rush-hour traffic, with festivities wrapping up by early afternoon -- at which point people can go home early, she says. "It's a win-win for everyone. You get a lower-cost holiday party, plenty of festive spirit and an afternoon away from work to spend with family or finish your holiday shopping," she says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV