HP's goal to enter 3D printing without making an acquisition will please conservative investors. Past acquisitions for the sake of growth proved costly.
The company's acquisition of Autonomy is an example of an expensive purchase, but 3PAR is finally showing good results. 3PAR grew 64% year-over year. Many 3D printing companies are already too large to be considered for acquisition. 3D Systems has a market cap of $7.7 billion, while Stratsys has a market cap of $4.94 billion.
The balance sheet for HP is improving, and will give the company more room in future spending. Debt dropped by over $5.5 billion this fiscal year. As HP reduces its debt burden in the quarters ahead, the company may be in a better position to boost R&D spending for 3D printing development.(Written by Chris Lau, a Kapitall Contributor. All data sourced from Zacks Invesment Research.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV