The stock was up 4.3% to $10.55 after the markets closed.
J.C. Penney seems to have returned to reporting monthly sales for now after dropping them in 2011. It's the second month in a row that the Plano, Texas-based company reported monthly sales. Last month, J.C. Penney reported the first positive comparable-store sales numbers since December 2011.
"We are pleased with our performance over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, particularly in light of the continued spending pressures on consumers," J.C. Penney's CEO Myron E. (Mike) Ullman, III said in a press release. "The combination of our great merchandise and compelling promotions put us in a position to succeed in a highly competitive environment, and our teams executed very well." "The traffic and conversion we saw both in stores and online this weekend was exciting for everyone across our organization. We know the environment will remain as competitive as ever, and we are all working to maintain our momentum through the holiday season," Ullman continued. Separately, J.C. Penney noted at the end of the release that the company plans to start using its Web site and various social media outlets to communicate company information, in some cases "material" information that includes "key personnel, new brands and services, trends, new marketing campaigns, corporate initiatives and other matters." Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. Follow @LKulikowski
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV