Microsoft Makes Xbox 720
Microsoft's (MSFT) Xbox 360 has been a huge hit since the Redmond, Wash.-based tech giant launched the gaming console in 2005. Though some Microsoft execs have said a new console won't come out for a few years, I believe that's a smoke screen.
Microsoft executive Shane Kim spoke about the Xbox 360 in 2009 and said the device could last as long as until 2015. A lot has changed in three years, and it's increasingly likely that Microsoft, along with Sony (SNE), will release new gaming consoles, as Nintendo did earlier this year, with the Wii U.
It's unknown at this point what the device will look like, but it's a good bet it will offer many of the same great features that have made the Xbox 360 a success, including Xbox Live, and various content deals, with the likes of Netflix (NFLX) and Hulu.
I'd expect the next Xbox to be released somewhere around mid-November, just in time for the holiday shopping season.
This one was pretty easy to see from a mile away. The two gaming companies, Sony and Microsoft, were hinting pretty strongly that a new gaming console would be released, and so far, they've been hits.
The Xbox One, as it's called (I didn't get the name right, but that's not important) is trying to position itself as an entertainment hub, and not just a gaming console. So far, that strategy appears to be working, as Microsoft sold over 1 million consoles in the first 24 hours it was available, last month.
Microsoft's Xbox One, which costs $499, is expected to be a big seller for the company this holiday season, as it continues to be more than just a place to kill zombies, lead your favorite team to the championship, or whatever your gaming heart desires.
Grade: A+ (It was pretty easy to get this one right. Even if the next CEO does decide to jettison the business.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV