Big Data Mergers
Big data is all the rage, as companies try to understand their customers better, and cater to specific needs.
Considering how flush with cash the technology sector is, I would not be surprised to see a buying spree on "big data" companies that add discovery and analytical technologies to their portfolios. Splunk (SPLK) is one company that focuses on data, having called itself the "Google of big data" to TheStreet earlier this year.
Companies like IBM (IBM), Oracle (ORCL), SAP (SAP) and perhaps even Google itself may be willing to open up their checkbooks to make more sense of the world's information overload.
This one is a bit murky, and tough to grade. Splunk is still a publicly traded company, up more than 142% year-to-date, but we've seen a slew of data-driven mergers this year. There are plenty more to come in 2014 and beyond, as companies continue to make sense of what the data actually means.
Facebook's (FB) purchase of Onavo earlier this year was fueled by its desire to become more data driven. I recently profiled Facebook's push into becoming a data-driven company, which makes decisions purely based on the petabytes of data that Facebook has.
More recently, was Apple's purchase of Topsy, which is still puzzling a lot of people on why it bought the company. It's clear that analytics isn't a strength of Apple's, so perhaps this is a push for 2014 for the company.
Grade: B (There are going to be a lot of data-driven purchases for the foreseeable future, so while I didn't accurately pick Splunk, I feel pretty confident it could happen.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV