What Happened to Professional Bowling's Glory Days?
I think I remember this: Marshall Holman kicks out foul light after his ball fails to break the way he expected it to.
And, of course, the class Marhsall Holman celebration, set, for better or worse, to music.
The announcers were fantastic. Overly dramatic and speechless during and after a Marshall Holman double gutter ball. I also recall great announcing when, like a no-hitter in baseball, somebody was threatening to bowl a 300. Very intense, nerve-racking, on the edge of your seat type stuff. But wait, little did I know, there's hope! This Pete Weber outburst at the end is from 2010 and, based on the vibe I get from "the Internet" easily one of the modern day's most popular bowling clips. And this one comes from 2012 so it's still on ESPN. Little did I know. It's not a good sign that that fact went under my radar. Anyhow, it might just be that, with or without great personalities, bowling is doomed to waffle in the abyss, a step below boring tennis and several steps below still (relatively) dominant, though must less entertaining than it was during the Tiger Woods glory days golf. Corrections, additions and attendant commendations and displays of Internet beer muscles welcome on Twitter and in the comments (though I don't expect to get much reaction, let alone a "love reaction"). Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV