DALLAS, Dec. 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ:TXN) today introduced a power factor correction (PFC) controller with the industry's widest range programmable frequency operating in continuous conduction mode. The UCC28180 8-pin PFC controller cuts power consumption in half and delivers power factor correction greater than 0.95, compared to existing solutions to support many universal-input AC/DC applications, such as industrial, server power supplies, air-conditioners, lighting, consumer appliances and home office electronics. For samples, visit: www.ti.com/ucc28180-pr
The UCC28180's adjustable switching frequency helps the designer optimize their design for size, cost and efficiency. The controller also achieves AC-input current total harmonic distortion (THD) as low as 5 percent with a 50 percent smaller shunt resistor, in comparison to previous-generation solutions.
Key features and benefits of the UCC28180 :
- Widest application usage: Wide-range, programmable frequency range operates from 18 kHz to 250 kHz and allows usage of IGBTs, GaN, SiC or Si MOSFETs, which minimize component count and improves efficiency.
- Lowest power dissipation: By employing reduced current sense thresholds, the PFC controller uses a smaller shunt resistor, which cuts power dissipation in half compared to previous-generation devices, while maintaining low THD.
- High reliability: Rich protection functions, such as soft over current, cycle-by-cycle peak current limit, output open-loop, overvoltage and open-pin detection, guard the power supply system components.
- Audible noise minimization: UCC28180 allows faster loop response when output voltage exceeds regulation level, thus minimizing incidence of audible noise in magnetic components caused by abrupt PWM output shut-off during overvoltage protection.
- Check out TI's extensive line of PFC controller solutions.
- Read the Power House blog " Better get your 'power factor' corrected."
- Visit the TI E2E power forum to search for solutions, get help, share knowledge and solve problems with fellow engineers and TI experts.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts