DALLAS, Dec. 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ:TXN) today introduced a power factor correction (PFC) controller with the industry's widest range programmable frequency operating in continuous conduction mode. The UCC28180 8-pin PFC controller cuts power consumption in half and delivers power factor correction greater than 0.95, compared to existing solutions to support many universal-input AC/DC applications, such as industrial, server power supplies, air-conditioners, lighting, consumer appliances and home office electronics. For samples, visit: www.ti.com/ucc28180-pr
The UCC28180's adjustable switching frequency helps the designer optimize their design for size, cost and efficiency. The controller also achieves AC-input current total harmonic distortion (THD) as low as 5 percent with a 50 percent smaller shunt resistor, in comparison to previous-generation solutions.
Key features and benefits of the UCC28180 :
- Widest application usage: Wide-range, programmable frequency range operates from 18 kHz to 250 kHz and allows usage of IGBTs, GaN, SiC or Si MOSFETs, which minimize component count and improves efficiency.
- Lowest power dissipation: By employing reduced current sense thresholds, the PFC controller uses a smaller shunt resistor, which cuts power dissipation in half compared to previous-generation devices, while maintaining low THD.
- High reliability: Rich protection functions, such as soft over current, cycle-by-cycle peak current limit, output open-loop, overvoltage and open-pin detection, guard the power supply system components.
- Audible noise minimization: UCC28180 allows faster loop response when output voltage exceeds regulation level, thus minimizing incidence of audible noise in magnetic components caused by abrupt PWM output shut-off during overvoltage protection.
- Check out TI's extensive line of PFC controller solutions.
- Read the Power House blog " Better get your 'power factor' corrected."
- Visit the TI E2E power forum to search for solutions, get help, share knowledge and solve problems with fellow engineers and TI experts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV