Rebounds in the equity and housing markets have not had a significant impact on the retirement prospects of many Americans, according to new research sponsored by Prudential Financial, Inc.
In a paper published today, the Center for Retirement Research (CRR) at Boston College found that despite a 45 percent real increase in equity prices since 2010, and a six percent real increase in home prices over the same period, the impact on retirement security was only modest.
The research was conducted to determine the overall impact of the rebound in the equity and housing markets on the The National Retirement Risk Index (NRRI), which measures the share of working-age American households at risk of being unable to maintain their standard of living in retirement. The last update to the NRRI, published in October 2012, and based on 2010 data, found that 53 percent of households were at risk. The NRRI is sponsored exclusively by Prudential.
A new Prudential paper, “Planning for Retirement: The Impact of Market Recoveries on Retirement Preparedness,” summarizes the latest NRRI research and also highlights three critical ways to improve Americans’ retirement security:
- Savings: making sure individuals save enough for retirement
- Coverage: making sure individuals have access to a workplace retirement plan
- Retirement Income: making sure individuals can efficiently and prudently convert their retirement savings to retirement income
|Exhibit 1. Percent of Households ‘At Risk’ at Age 65 by Income Group|
|Source: Center for Retirement Research|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV