Canadian Tire Makes Initial $1 Million Investment in New Brunswick Schools to Help 'Premier's Challenge' Come to Life
Company Congratulates Province for Initiating Bold Plan and Vision to Get Kids One Hour a Day of Physical Activity at School
FREDERICTON, Dec. 3, 2013 /CNW/ - Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited (TSX:CTC, TSX:CTC.a) today joined New Brunswick Premier David Alward to launch the 'Premier's Challenge' - a bold new plan from the Government of New Brunswick to ensure the province's youth get one hour of physical activity before, during or after school every day. To help the Premier's Challenge come to life, the Canadian Tire Family of Companies is pledging an initial $1 million in funding for new sports equipment in schools, in addition to offering access to Company resources and ongoing support as it works alongside the government to get kids in New Brunswick active.
Canadian Tire is a founding member of ACTIVE AT SCHOOL, a group of over 60 influential, credible organizations from across Canada with an expertise in health and wellness, sport and recreation, industry and education. Launched two weeks ago, ACTIVE AT SCHOOL is a multi-year movement by the organizations involved - which include Nike, the NHL, the Canadian Medical Association, ParticipACTION and Physical Health & Education Canada - to work with governments and offer access to their considerable networks, resources, investments and marketing efforts to reverse the staggering trend of inactivity amongst millions of Canadian children and youth.New Brunswick is the first jurisdiction to take advantage of ACTIVE AT SCHOOL's unprecedented offer of help and support, and today the Canadian Tire Family of Companies is proud to support the New Brunswick Government on its journey. "As a company that embraces healthy and active living, we are exceptionally proud to associate ourselves with the Premier and Government of New Brunswick to get the province's youth more active," said Stephen Wetmore, Chief Executive Officer of Canadian Tire Corporation. "Just two weeks ago, we assembled an unprecedented group of private sector companies and not-for-profit organizations to offer our resources to governments to get our kids active. Premier Alward shares our vision and we are very pleased to be able to support this journey to get New Brunswick youth active at school." "Helping young people be healthier and more active is a key part of our government's plan to rebuild New Brunswick, and it is a responsibility we all share as a province," said the Hon. David Alward, Premier of New Brunswick. "I commend the leadership Canadian Tire is demonstrating by partnering with our government to give kids more opportunities to have fun and be active." "I never would have reached the podium in London had I not developed a love for physical activity as a child," said Olympic Gold Medalist, Rosie MacLennan. "The benefits of developing healthy habits when you're young go far beyond health and wellness - they build self-confidence, leadership skills and inspire kids to take on new challenges. Congratulation to the Government of New Brunswick for understanding the importance of physical activity and taking action to ensure we have a next generation of Olympic hopefuls." Supporting the Cause To help ensure the Premier's Challenge becomes a reality for schools and youth across the province, today Canadian Tire Corporation is committing to:
- Providing $1 million worth of new sporting equipment to the province's over 320 elementary and secondary schools over the next three years;
- Installing in-store signage in the Company's 54 retail locations across the province, including Canadian Tire, Canadian Tire Gas+ stations, Mark's and Sport Chek stores to ensure the issue of inactive youth remains top-of-mind with New Brunswick families;
- Offering access to the company's network of professional and amateur sports properties and athletes to engage and inspire students through school visits;
- An ongoing commitment through the ACTIVE AT SCHOOL network to work in partnership with the Province of New Brunswick on its journey towards getting kids active.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV