NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of OncoMed Pharmaceuticals (OMED) opened sharply higher on news the small-cap biopharmaceutical company was partnering with biotech industry leader Celgene (CELG). As part of the agreement, the two companies will develop and co-market up to six anti-cancer stem cell medicines in OncoMed's pipeline.
At Tuesday's open, OncoMed shares were up 77.4% to $23.99.
OncoMed will be responsible for early clinical trials and will retain the rights to co-develop, co-commercialize and share in profits. Celgene has an exclusive option to license demcizumab, OncoMed's most advanced product which is in early-stage trials. OncoMed will be eligible to receive 50% of U.S. profits and royalties for sales internationally if demcizumab makes it to market.
As part of the agreement, OncoMed will receive $177.25 million in an upfront payment from Celgene. Celgene will also purchase $22.25 million of OncoMed's shares, giving it an approximate 5% stake in the company.
"By retaining co-development and co-commercialization rights to up to five biologic product candidates in our pipeline, we expect to add commercial capabilities to our core research and development competencies as we continue to build a premier oncology biotherapeutics company," said OncoMed CEO Paul J. Hastings.
Celgene shares fell 0.95% at market open. The Summit, N.J.-based company is up 107.9% since January.--Written by Keris Alison Lahiff. Also see: The 10 Drunkest States in America... and the 10 most sober.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV