IRVINE, Calif., Dec. 3, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- MRI Interventions, Inc. (OTCQB:MRIC) today announced the presentation of clinical data demonstrating the precision of MRI-guided delivery of the investigational gene therapy Toca 511 to high grade gliomas using the company's ClearPoint ® Neuro Intervention System as the delivery platform. At the 4 th Quadrennial Meeting of the World Federation of Neuro-Oncology, held in conjunction with the 18 th Annual Society for Neuro-Oncology Scientific Meeting and Education Day, Dr. Manish Aghi, neurosurgeon at University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), presented a poster showing interim data from an ongoing Phase I clinical trial evaluating the safety and tolerability of Toca 511 in combination with Toca FC in recurrent high grade glioma patients.
Toca 511 is a retroviral replicating vector that carries a gene for an enzyme that converts orally delivered Toca FC (extended-release 5-FC) into 5-FU, a potent anti-cancer agent.
The Toca 511 delivery procedure uses MRI Interventions' ClearPoint System, which merges neuronavigation with real-time MRI imaging. This platform allows visualization while making adjustments to cannula trajectory, position and flow rate during a delivery procedure.Dr. Aghi commented that real-time MRI-guided delivery is more precise than delivery based on previous methods. "Direct visualization of the tumor during delivery of Toca 511 has been very important in helping us administer the desired dose precisely at the intended location," stated Dr. Aghi. "The evidence of antitumor activity we have observed in this trial support continued dose escalation." Additional highlights of the presentation included:
- Toca 511 dose levels studied to date have been safe and well-tolerated;
- Using direct MRI guidance, delivery of Toca 511 into as many as four locations in the tumor, at flow rates of up to 30 µL/min has been achieved without reflux;
- Analysis of tumor from a patient who underwent MRI-guided delivery of Toca 511 showed Toca 511 gene expression;
- In certain patients, following treatment with Toca 511 and Toca FC, MRI changes consistent with antitumor activity have been observed.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV