Updated from 8:14 a.m. EST to include more analysis in the 14th paragraph.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- It's here, even if it isn't official, just yet.
Apple already has deals with the other major Chinese carriers, including China Telecom (CHA), and China Unicom (CHU).
Last week, China's official state news agency, Xinhua, reported that China would start commercial use of the 4G network and services starting Dec. 18, bringing high-speed Internet access, data and advanced smartphones to the world's most populous country. China Mobile had 740 million subscribers at the end of June, with 137.9 million of them being 3G users, the demographic Apple is targeting.
The soft launch (since postponed) took place in Suzhou, one of China's most populous and richest cities. With services starting Dec. 18, just two weeks away, it makes sense that China Mobile, through its various subsidiaries, would start taking pre-orders and reservations now.
This has been a deal that's been long in the making, going back to when Apple first launched the iPhone in 2007. There was speculation then that a deal between Apple and China Mobile would happen. There was no official deal between the two behemoths, though there are iPhones already running on China Mobile's network. It's thought that there could be 10 million, if not more, iPhones already on China Mobile's network.
In August, speculation really began to ramp up that a deal was near. China Mobile Chairman Xi Guohua said he was optimistic about a deal between the two companies, noting both parties were "actively negotiating." He noted that there are some "commercial and technology issues that need time to resolve." This official 4G network launch appears to be one of the "issues" he was talking about.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV