At 11th Hour, Congress Debates Plastic Gun Ban
"We will continue to aggressively fight any expansion ... or any other proposal that would infringe on our Second Amendment rights," NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said in a statement.
The conservative Gun Owners of America has opposed even the extension, saying such laws wouldn't stop criminals intent on printing weapons.
"They've just spent all year trying to effectively destroy the gun lobby," Mike Hammond, legislative counsel of the small group, said of Democrats. "So why in heaven's name, given this intransigence, should we give them this Christmas present?"
President Barack Obama and a host of lawmakers led by Schumer and other Democrats, have repeatedly pushed for changes to the nation's gun laws, including expanding background checks for gun buyers and other restrictions, since a shooting massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut last Dec. 14. Twenty children and six adults were killed in a shooting carried out by a lone gunman who then shot himself to death.__ Associated Press writers Alan Fram and Henry C. Jackson contributed to this report. __ Follow Alicia A. Caldwell on Twitter at www.twitter.com/acaldwellap
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV