NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Some readers might remember a few years ago when I said to "sell everything under the sun" in talking about solar stocks.
At the time, First Solar (FSLR) was in the middle of a dive from record highs to record lows. A lot of people, myself included, did quite well with that bit of advice, thank you.
That was then, this is now: Solar stocks have had a terrific year. So as 2013 comes to a close, a lot of people want to know: Is it time to get back in?
We'll use First Solar as a proxy because it remains the biggest solar stock by market cap.Data from Best Stocks Now App Headquartered in Phoenix, FSLR is a $5.9 billion company. The story starts in 2008 when FSLR was a $317/share company. Shortly thereafter I warned everyone to put on some sunscreen and run for shade from FSLR. It finally landed last year at $11/share. Today it's back at $60/share. FSLR has been a big winner over the past 12 months. But the people who talk about how well the solar stocks are doing seem to leave out FSLR's history beyond a year, from $317 down to $11 and back to $60. I could make the argument that this stock has simply dropped from $317 to $60, down 250 points over the last five years. (Oops, I just did.) Let's not forget that. But other momentum investors would say they don't care about anything besides 2013. They love solar: It's the future! My Best Stocks Now! app is an equal opportunity investor. It has no opinion on whether solar, wind or oil is the future. All it does is look at the short-term, intermediate, and long-term performance, as well as the valuation and stock chart. So let's do that. Performance I know FSLR has had a terrific 12 months, but what about the last 60? We can't just put on our blacked-out, oversized sunglasses and ignore them. We still need to be able to look at, clearly, this period of time in FSLR's history. Data from Best Stocks Now App
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV