Here are some dividend-paying stalwarts -- all three of which are components of the Dow -- trading close to bargain pricing. They are "brands" that are well known, enduring and trusted for innovation and production. If you believe the stock market is going higher and that a "rising tide lifts all boats," then Microsoft, Intel and IBM pay you to ride them to higher tides.
Having mentioned in a recent article that I anticipate both Microsoft and another popular stock, Apple (AAPL), will correct a bit before continuing their ascent higher, I'm also wondering if two of the "dogs of the Dow," IBM and Intel, will do the same. In spite of all the street talk that IBM is losing business to "the cloud" and Intel's race to catch up with the demands of the mobile device manufacturers, both companies many ways to make money and have recurring streams of operating cash flow.
As for Amazon, perhaps the sky's the limit. On 60 Minutes Sunday night, CEO Jeff Bezos demonstrated that the company is "testing drones" for same-day package delivery. Sunday delivery for "prime" customers using the U.S. Postal Service wasn't impressive enough? Now I have visions of ordering a product at Amazon.com and within hours a drone missile flies down my chimney and delivers its payload to our shock and awe.
What will they think of next?
At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned.
This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV