NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Mary Kurtz knows the sad ending if Netflix can ever release big movies the same day theaters do.
"I rent from Netflix all the time, but if they can get in and get movies ahead of everyone else," said Kurtz, co-owner of Charlevoix, Mich.-based Cinema III, a roughly 420-seat, resort town commercial movie house. "It will be bad for the film business."
Kurtz and I have been picking through the heap of new-media trash talk piling up on theater owners. "The big, big movies that Hollywood spends billions on are pretty much released the same way they were years ago," said Ted Sarandos, chief content officer at Netflix, back in October. "Premium on-demand models that could change that have been tried over and over again. But it's the theater owners who have stifled that innovation at every turn."
Kurtz is polite, but as she explains it, that Web-above-all attitude misses the business point: "If Netflix gets the movies at the same time we do, I think you are going to see both a lot of theaters close and a lot of studios make less money."Investors would be inviting a flop of simply Mars Needs Moms scale if it dismisses Kurtz as out-of-touch theater owner refusing to adapt to the Information Age consumer. In fact, the articulate 25-year-old got her accounting degree online while working full time as a commercial credit officer at Charlevoix State Bank -- where she started when she was 15. Her husband, Luther, the other owner of the theater, is also co-owner of Bucket List Skydiving, a sophisticated adventure experience firm that manages roughly 30,000 jumps annually in eight locations across the U.S. And a celluloid dreamer Mary Kurtz is not: Though she grew up in Charlevoix and knew the original Cinema III as a girl, she not only never dreamt of owning the place, she never even dreamt of going to the place.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV