NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Consumer discretionary companies are doing their best to pull in dollars as we head into the holiday season.
But many indicators are pointing toward rough sledding this holiday season. There's the tough employment situation, payroll axes and falling consumer confidence.
Some savvy companies are attempting to fight the trend by embracing the holidays and integrating holiday themes into their brands and products. L Brands (LB), Starbucks (SBUX) and Williams-Sonoma (WSM) are three such companies.
L Brands owns a bunch of exciting brands: Victoria's Secret, Pink, Bath & Body Works, La Sensa and Henri Bendel.
Shares of the company have gained about 39% so far this year, buoyed by strength in the consumer discretionary sector and the broad markets.
L Brands recently released its Victoria's Secret holiday catalog, which is full of products with holiday themes. The Very Sexy, Bombshell and Dream Angels lines underwent changes to reflect the season. By offering consumers an opportunity to match their wardrobes to the season, Victoria's Secret looks set to create additional demand during the holidays.
Moreover, L Brands has even incorporated its Pink brand into the season with separate holiday offers.
I've looked and written about Starbucks quite a bit in 2013, maybe because the company has outperformed all comparable companies and averages with returns of 52% so far this year, or maybe because I visit a Starbucks almost every day.
A couple of weeks ago I published an article here where I looked at the driving forces of the company's astonishingly loyal customer base.
I briefly discussed the company's seasonal offerings as a driver of loyalty throughout the year. It is no secret that Starbucks has pioneered coffee seasonality.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV