Umar noted that Sterne Agee has picked Macy's as the retailer in the best position to benefit through the holiday season.
The rating agency said the company's decision to open at 8 p.m. EST on Thanksgiving Day, as opposed to at midnight, helped drive more foot traffic than the prior year.
Umar said the company also did one other thing very well: door-buster sales. Unlike many retailers that typically run out of sale items quickly, Macy's did not.Sterne Agee suggested the retailer picked the right sale items, had prominent advertising, and as of midday on Black Friday, still had inventory. The company also did well in key product categories, such as cold weather products, Umar concluded. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV