In support of National Influenza Vaccination Week, which runs December 8-14, Rite Aid (NYSE: RAD) is reducing the price of flu shots by $5 in hopes of encouraging people who have not yet received their annual flu shot to do so. From now through December 14, flu shots will be available from Rite Aid certified immunizing pharmacists at all Rite Aid pharmacies at a reduced price of only $24.99*, subject to state regulations. Flu shots are covered by most insurance plans, including Medicare Part B.
“Getting a flu shot is the single best way to protect yourself and those around you from getting the flu,” said Robert Thompson, Rite Aid Executive Vice President of Pharmacy. “The good news is, it’s not too late to get a flu shot and by lowering the price of flu shots during National Influenza Vaccination Week, we’re hoping to encourage people to get vaccinated and be protected throughout the winter months, as flu activity is expected increase.”
Created by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in 2005, National Influenza Vaccination Week (NIVW) is a national observance that was established to highlight the importance of continuing influenza vaccination, as well as fostering greater use of flu vaccine after the holiday season into January and beyond.
The CDC recommends that everyone six months and older get a flu shot as soon as it is available, since it takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies to develop in the body and provide protection against the flu. A flu shot is recommended every year because flu viruses are constantly changing. The flu vaccine is formulated each year in an attempt to match the circulating strains of flu virus each year. The 2013-2014 vaccine will protect against an influenza A H3N2 virus, an influenza B virus and the H1N1 virus that emerged in 2009.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV