D-Day Arrives for Obamacare - Echoes of Stalinism
Editor's note: Updated from 6 a.m. New throughout.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- D-day arrived for ObamaCare Saturday, and began with an 11 hour shutdown of HealthCare.gov -- the problem-plagued Web site intended to provide easy access to affordable insurance for millions of Americans.
The contraption is functioning better but is still terribly inadequate. It can only handle 50,000 users at a time, well short of the volume needed to assist the millions of Americans who must purchase health insurance by year-end or face fines.
Those eligible for subsidies must use the system, but often the system can't verify eligibility for aid. Many are in limbo-applications already initiated are stalled, lost or otherwise can't be completed.Healthcare.gov software to get insurance companies paid subsidies is not functioning effectively, and the small business site that was to offer group coverage has been postponed one year. Eventually, Jeff Zients, the Web site's repair czar, will have this monster fulfilling all its functions, but likely it will be a balky, frustrating Web site, much like other federal Web sites or those run by private firms enjoying monopoly power. Health insurance will be right up there with dealing with tax filing. Bureaucrats will have easy access to sensitive personal data, which Obama Administration political moles can use to target, harass and sometimes destroy critics, and simply occupy millions of hours of citizens' time that could be used more productively. Welcome to statism: The ants of capitalism herded into a bureaucratic hell to serve the masters of a grander design.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV