The 114th Canton Fair
GUANGZHOU, China, Dec. 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The 114 th session of the Canton Fair, China's leading trade show, closed in Guangzhou on November 4. Attracting nearly 190,000 overseas purchasers from over 200 countries, attendance was stable compared to previous events.
While the total value of export deals concluded at the event was down slightly at RMB 194.61 billion ( USD 31.69 billion), the number of repeat orders was up, reflecting improved product quality and innovation. Exhibitor numbers were deliberately reduced at this session, allowing for an increased showing of big name, reputable brands who invest heavily in research and development.
In terms of design, the evolution of the Canton Fair continues, from a place where products "made in China" are exhibited, to those "created in China." The size of the area devoted to the design community was up 31 percent year-on-year, with a total of 74 design institutions from 10 countries and regions attending.
"We want to promote trade through innovation," commented Liu Jianjun, deputy director of the China Foreign Trade Center. "By encouraging firms to invest in cutting edge design, we can ensure that the Fair exhibits products with more value-added content. With novel designs and originality, an increasing number of Chinese firms can maintain stable export volumes and penetrate overseas markets."This year witnessed the introduction of the Canton Fair (CF) Awards, intended to reward attending companies with the best export product design. In 2013, a total of 547 products were submitted by 345 companies. "By holding design contests and selecting the most creatively designed goods for exhibition, we can really emphasize independent research and development," said Wang Runsheng, deputy director of the Canton Fair. "In this way, products of better quality will be exhibited and the standard of exhibitors enhanced."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV