- TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.
- INSIST ON SECURE TRANSACTIONS. When doing business online, make sure your payments are submitted via websites beginning with https:// (the "s" stands for secure) and look for a lock symbol at the bottom of your browser.
- WATCH FOR MISSING SALES TAX CHARGES. Businesses trading in counterfeit goods often do not report their sales to financial authorities—a difference you may notice in the price you ultimately pay, particularly in states that collect sales taxes.
- SEEK QUALITY ASSURANCE IN THE SECONDARY MARKET. Reputable and reliable resellers have comprehensive inspection and authentication procedures and technicians to inspect the equipment they sell.
- BE PARTICULARLY CAREFUL PURCHASING MEDICINE ONLINE. Reports suggest that 96% of online pharmacies do not meet safety or legal standards.
- BE VIGILANT WHEN BUYING ABROAD. When shopping on international websites, look for trusted vendors that use identifiable privacy and security safeguards and have legitimate addresses.
- AVOID THE IMPOSSIBLE. If a movie is still in theaters (or has not even premiered in theaters yet), beware of online streaming or download sites, which oftentimes install malware that can steal your credit card and other personal information without you even knowing.
- SCRUTINIZE LABELS, PACKAGING, AND CONTENTS. Look for missing or expired "use by" dates, broken or missing safety seals, missing warranty information, or otherwise unusual packaging.
- REPORT FAKE PRODUCTS THAT ARE FAULTY OR DANGEROUS. Consumers can play an important role in keeping the market free of fakes. Report unsafe products to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. www.SaferProducts.gov
- SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT THE DANGER OF FAKE PRODUCTS. Teach your kids about counterfeits and warn friends and family of illegitimate product sources.
U.S. Chamber Of Commerce Issues Consumer Alert Tips For Avoiding Dangerous Fakes Online
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.