The Brilliance of the Holiday Beer Sampler
PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- This is a wonderful time of the year for beers, but it's also just about the best time to try some holiday beer you're unfamiliar with and not spend a whole lot doing so.
One of the beer industry's finest holiday traditions, especially among its established smaller brewers, is offering a cost-effective 12 pack of seasonal varieties just as shoppers are stocking up for their holiday parties. Boston Beer's Samuel Adams brand does this to great effect each year, trotting out its Old Fezziwig winter warmer in a pack with Boston Lager and four other varieties. It's not only a way to get folks familiar with the flagship Boston Lager to try new varieties, but to get loyalists familiar with the product to transition from familiar brands such as Holiday Porter and Chocolate Bock to new offerings such as Juniper IPA and Cherry Chocolate Bock.
It creates a nice holiday shelf display and some added interest for breweries during what is typically their low season, and it offers buyers some options for guests who might be lukewarm on a whole lot of any one particular beer. As a gateway to a company's beer, however, it's also fairly cheap.
The Beer Institute, a beer industry organization based in Washington, put the price of an average six-pack at $5.05. Domestics fetch a little less at $4.95 and imports charge far more at $6.88, but those prices will vary depending on the taxes in each state. When Samuel Adams lets its "Winter Classics" 12-pack go for $14 -- the going price at national wine and beer chain Total Wine -- it's still dabbling in the high end at $7 per six-pack, but it's creating one of the least expensive avenues for enjoying a holiday beer in the current marketplace.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV