You May Be in a Relationship With a Financial Bully
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- Are you or someone you know the victim of financial bullying?
Theres a one in 10 chance you could be, according to a study from Credit Karma and Harris Interactive.
According to the survey, 10% of Americans tag their spouse or partner as a "financial bully," with men and women seeming to be equal-opportunity budget bullies. The problem is so bad among young Americans that 22% of married couples between the ages of 22 and 34 would get a divorce if "money was no object."
Credit Karma defines a financial bully as "someone who uses his or her influence or strength to intimidate others and force them to do what they want. Financial bullies intimidate and manipulate their partners by controlling all of the household finances."The consumer credit firm offers the following red flags:
- Your spouse or partner withholds money from you -- even if it's your money.
- Your spouse or partner blocks you from a bank account or credit card account.
- Your spouse or partner will make you explain even minimal purchases, and demand to see receipts.
- Your spouse or partner threatens to leave the relationship, knowing that it could cause you financial stress.
- Your spouse or partner makes you feel guilty about your money habits.
- Your spouse or partner puts you on an allowance and bans you from using a credit card.
- Your spouse or partner doesn't let you go shopping by yourself.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV