Customer Service Is Still Terrible, and We Still Rage Over It
An unpleasant shopping experience could well be in your immediate future too, according to one academic who tracks consumer shopping "rage" year-round.
Mary Jo Bitner, executive director of the Center for Services Leadership at Arizona State University, says that "more American consumers than ever are dissatisfied with the products and services we buy," and that consumers are "less happy with the service received" after they complain about a botched purchase.
- The number of consumers reporting "problems" with retailers jumped from 32% in 1976 to 50% this year.
- 68% of U.S. households report experiencing retail shopping rage this year, compared to 60% in 2011.
- More Americans than ever are reporting "yelling and cursing" at business customer service representatives, with the cable and satellite television sector leading the pack in receiving angry complaints.
- Unhappy consumers are turning to social media to register their complaints, with 35% of Americans of using Facebook to complain about a shopping experience, up from 19% in 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV