Iran Nuclear Deal Hits Gas Pedal For Carmakers
"PSA Peugeot Citroen and Renault will offer new cars to the market with the help of their Iranian partners," the minister said. "They've been big contributors to Iran's auto industry. Given the Geneva deal, we hope sanctions will be lifted by the end of December so that joint ventures with foreign carmakers can resume."
Iran Khodro's manager, Hashem Yekeh Zare, said his company is considering a joint project with Daimler AG's Mercedes-Benz, but didn't elaborate. Zare said his company is seeking greater self-sufficiency and is interested in importing auto parts and licenses for joint production.
Representatives from German, Indian, Japanese and South Korean auto manufacturers attended Saturday's conference. But despite a recent thaw in relations between Iran and the U.S., including a historic phone call between moderate President Hassan Rouhani and President Barack Obama, no representative from a U.S. automaker attended the event. American carmakers have been absent from Iran since its 1979 Islamic revolution and the U.S. Embassy takeover. U.S. law blocks American carmakers from the Iranian market.
That's not to say there's no interest in American muscle cars. An Iranian advertising campaign in recent months promised an exhibition of American-made cars but it was never held. Iranian media did, however, report the arrival of some Chevrolet Camaros to the country earlier this year, apparently through third parties.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV