NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Many stores opened their doors this year on Thanksgiving to get an edge on the competition. TheStreet's Laurie Kulikowski is with Terry Lundgren, CEO of Macy's (M), to discuss the kickoff of holiday shopping.
Lundgren said 15,000 people were lined up at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day, besting last year's line of 11,000 people at midnight.
Clearly, the demand for a Thanksgiving open was there, he said.
He added that coats and boots seemed to be doing well and that Black Friday would remain the most important day for Macy's in terms of sales.Consumers seem to be becoming more aware that there are six fewer shopping days between now and Christmas, Lundgren said, making this weekend's sales even more important. Macy's is the largest carrier of top brands, like Michael Kors (KORS) and Polo Ralph Lauren (RL). But they also carry and sell more value-oriented brands too, he said. Regarding mobile shopping, Lundgren suggested that more shoppers are browsing online, but coming into the store to get a better feel for what they're buying. He concluded that Macy's seems to be taking market share from all of its competition right now, including department stores and speciality stores. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV