5 Ways to Keep Your Budget on Black Friday Weekend
NEW YORK (TheStreet) More than 140 million Americans are stretching their quads and flashing their credit cards in anticipation of a holiday shopping spree this Thanksgiving weekend, according to the National Retail Federation.
But Americans seem determined to pull out all the stops on saving money where they can, even as they hit the stores, malls and online shopping sites.
Savvy shoppers know that the biggest shopping weekend of the year means even bigger savings, and those with specific gifts to buy will definitely be out and about or online over the holiday weekend, Prosper Consumer Insights director Pam Goodfellow says. (Prosper ran the holiday shopping numbers for the NRF.) Though most will adhere to a very strict budget and will make thoughtful decisions about the gifts they purchase, its evident that Americans are in the holiday spirit, despite their cautious approach to spending.
How can shoppers be sure to stay within those budgets?Here are some last-minute holiday budget tips from the Tax Defense Network: Shop online. Consumers can leverage existing tax laws to cut their holiday spending tab. Since there is no nationwide Internet sales tax for now buying gifts and goods online can save you on sales taxes, the firm says. Aim for free shipping. Mark Dec. 17 on your shopping calendar and pop the date into your budget app. Thats Free Shipping Day, when 1,000 U.S. retailers will offer guaranteed free delivery by Dec. 24. Shipping costs are at the top of the list of reasons why online shoppers abandon their shopping carts, but getting goods shipped for free can those costs this holiday season.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV