The hustle and bustle of Black Friday is enough to test the patience of even the most seasoned shopper. This year, Discover Financial Services surveyed Chicagoland shoppers about what ails them the most on Black Friday and plans to deploy a crew of more than 3 dozen orange-clad helpers on the Magnificent Mile today to help ease the pain of the busiest shopping day of the year.
While 57 percent of Chicagoans said they’re usually excited or happy on Black Friday, 1 in 5 feels overwhelmed by it all, according to a survey commissioned by suburban Riverwoods-based Discover.
When asked which of the following might make shopping a little easier, mood mattered the most for 66 percent of those surveyed:
- 49 percent of shoppers said they’d like to see more courtesy among shoppers
- 9 percent wished people would be in a more festive mood
- 8 percent would want store associates to be more friendly
- But 24 percent of Chicagoans said better deals mean the most to them
As for which of the survey’s five most-popular amenities shoppers would want most:
- 48 percent wished they could have someone else stand in line for them
- 19 percent preferred to have help finding parking
- 14 percent would be most happy with free gift-wrapping
- 13 percent said having someone get them a warm beverage would do the trick
- 6 percent put a massage at the top of their list
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts